Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Overthinking: My Next Album...

Hello devoted fans and familial members,

In order to save you the spamming of Facebook walls and long-winded car trip monologues, I'm gonna put this here, where reading it is extremely optional. There's some big news here, though.

And that's not my new album title. That is sarcasm.

I've been taking some time to think about where my music is gonna go from here. I wonder if other artists undergo this kind of reinvention every time they release a new album as well. To be honest, I consider 'First Aid' to be my best work so far, through and through. I'm glad my songwriting skills and experimentation all paid off (as well as that E-Bow my family got me), because I'm onto the next big thing!

That's really overstating it.

I'm doing a little renovating around the house of Kaelin's mind and I want to share it with you. Mostly, I want to bore you with the history of how I got to thinking about the possibility of doing some renovation.

As many people might know I have a place in my heart for free music. A big place. So, the fact that so many wonderful artists like Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, and Girl Talk have all given away free albums made me become rather large fans of theirs. Keep in mind, this was about 3 years ago.

Nine Inch Nails especially sparked my interest (at first. Sorry, Trent, but Radiohead is my favorite!) By blending electronic music with this dark, metal aesthetic, not only did they invent a new genre of music, but they took the world by storm with it as well. Industrial music fast became a new trend, with bands like Filter and Hole fleshing out the genre.

I want to connect this to Mad Atlantic. Many people have heard me say that I want to be the first all-digital rock artist performing today. It was through electronic music that I found this possibility, and I hope to achieve it, full-fledged, someday. I've already put two people on the stage with no amps and two computers. I love to blend electronic elements deep into my work as Mad Atlantic.

(cue dramatic segue)

But, I want to take that one step further.

I want to seamlessly blend this "post-industrial" music (see How to Destroy Angels; also free!) into the rock aesthetic. I want to take electronic music to a different audience; one that doesn't really like to dance or listen to screaming synthesizers all the time, with female vocalists singing about getting wasted and having sex. I want to take this to the people who think that electronic music is that shit you hear on the radio.

Let me just spell it out for you:

The Ethical Standard

The Ethical Standard will blend electronic post-industrial rock with the dark drama of perhaps an opera. I can't guarantee where this will go, but I can promise you three things:

It will be dark,

It might get very loud,

And it will be unlike anything you've heard before.

I've started recording a little under the name already, but I'm not willing to give anything away until I know what's happening for sure.

As you may know, I will be leaving for
college in a couple months and I'm not sure how much time I'll get to record there. Hopefully, I can get much done this summer. I want to bring my best friend and frequent collaborator Mike Johnson on board with The Ethical Standard, as well.

On a related note, I hope to have some of Mike's own work out before the end of the year. More of that to come.

Sound exciting? Long-winded? I know. Sorry. Plus, I also just made a lot of big promises I hope I can deliver on.

I also want to reassure you that this does not mean an end to Mad Atlantic. I will not be recording under Mad Atlantic for a while, though I do plan on hopefully playing some live shows (Note: not a promise. I don't know where the wind will take me there.)

Also, DJ Spectrum is not dissolved, though I may have to change the name due to a possible conflict with another artist. I'm working on that. I plan on doing more ambient music in the future. That's a promise.

So… big things are in store. Also, buy Radiohead's new album.

I love you guys: fans, friends, and family,

Kaelin Bougneit
aka. Mad Atlantic, DJ Spectrum, and now The Ethical Standard

1 comment:

  1. This all sounds very exciting!

    ReplyDelete