Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Just for Kicks: The Decemberists

The Decemberists are legends among indie hipsters like me. Their newest composition The Hazards of Love, a rock opera guest starring the talents of Lavender Diamond's Becky Stark, My Brightest Diamond's Shara Worden, My Morning Jacket's Jim James, Robyn Hitchcock and the Spinanes' Rebecca Gates, earns five stars in my book.

And I get to see them next week (concert review sure to follow)!

So, what does this have to do with Mad Atlantic? For starters, I recently listened to The Decemberists's song "The Tain", and realized that "Sir William" sounds a lot like some of the parts of the song. So, I started thinking: why not cover one of my favorite Decemberists songs: "Shankill Butchers".

It's a creepy acoustic song about guys who go out killing children who are up past bedtime...yeah...it's freaky.

I'll be honest; the original is much better, but I took it upon myself to learn and record this song in fifteen minutes, so enjoy!

Shankill Butchers

Mad Atlantic

2 comments:

  1. Kaelin, you do an AMAZING job with this song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaelin this is really good!!! i cant believe u learned this in 15 min! u amaze me with everything u can do with music!

    Miss u much,
    your cuz Rachel

    ReplyDelete